Monday 11 July 2011

The flood that re-shuffled Lagos!





At about 5am yesterday 10th July 2011, the gates of heaven opened to release a heavy downpour of rain. Whilst the rain seemed pretty normal, as its that time of the year in Nigeria, six hours later, I was convinced that this was no ordinary rain. As a matter of fact, I felt this was some kind of punishment from God.


It rained for approximately 17hours. It might sound exaggerated but as far as i'm concerned, the rain quietened at about 10pm in the evening, so you do the maths. The whole of Lagos was flooded and for those who were in Lagos Island, Victoria Island and its environs, they did have a story to tell; as cars broke down everywhere causing traffic. Cars were literally floating in water, as well as people. I dont't doubt the fact that nobody was affected by the rain.

It was such an unfortunate situation as hooligans saw it as an opportunity to rob innocent citizens.

Personally, I had a horrid experience. I was stuck in the office for hours, and couldn't leave. When I could finally muster the courage to leave, I joined a friend of mine who has a car and by the time we got to Adeola Odeku in VI, we realized that the car would need paddles instead as we soon found ourselves floating away. My friend had to park somewhere safe, and as it was still raining, we found ourselves trekking to Silverbird galleria in Ahamadu Bello way in Victoria Island. By the time we got there, we were waist deep in flood. Trust me, it was a horrible and disgusting experience. In truth, I was stuck in Victoria Islamd till way past mid-night.


                                    

My prayers are 'Dear Lord, please don't let it rain like this anymore'.

PS: most of the pictures were taken at night.

2 comments:

  1. I guess the Rich also cry and rain is not a respecter of persons.

    ReplyDelete

speakers