Wednesday 28 December 2011

Does anyone remember Heaven?




Compliments of the season to my dear readers, I hope you all are enjoying the holidays, cos I am. To be honest, I’ve over indulged myself and I feel like I deserve it. I just want to take a few minutes and share my thoughts as usual, and I hope you gain from it.

I’m sure everyone and anyone who has ever taken public transport would be familiar with people preaching the gospel or spreading the word. Now depending on my mood and the contents of the person’s message, I usually listen. If I’m not in sync with the contents of the person’s message, I could tune off. One of the things that could make me tune off is if the person is shouting and preaching fire and brimstone. I think one way to preach the word, especially in a public bus is to speak firmly, calmly and coherently. But that’s just my opinion.


Anyways, just yesterday I encountered another preacher on the bus. Now unfortunately, this was one of the preachers I usually tune out due to his unnecessary shouting. However, there’s a statement he made that just stayed with me. ‘Nobody remembers heaven anymore’. The statement just somehow hit me as so true.

It’s often times in many Church where ‘Heaven’ is preached. Instead, you hear about ‘fulfilling your destinies’, ‘Heaven on earth’,’ blessings blessings blessings’, etc. I believe you get my drift. It seems people have forgotten that there’s a place called heaven. Instead we want to experience our heaven on earth. Many people pray to get rich, but very few people make their ultimate prayer to see heaven. To be honest, I’m equally guilty. We are all caught up with the glitz and glamour of life, with our potentials, with our achievements and shortcomings; we forget that all is vanity. If at the end of our lives when we’ve accomplished everything and miss Heaven, what would be the point?

Sometimes, all we need to do is stop and think. Maybe even stop and pray that we don’t become overwhelmed with Life and every other thing that Life brings with it that we forget about what we stand to gain beyond life which is Heaven!

This is not saying that we should stop praying and trying to achieve all our ambitions. But maybe we should pray that in achieving all our ambitions, it would all be to the glory of God and at the end of Life’s struggles, we would make it to Heaven. If we gain everything on Earth and miss Heaven, that would be cheating ourselves of our original heritage.

So, my little message for today would be to re-arrange our perspective and focus. Let Heaven be the big deal above that Range Rover and that high rise apartment. In time, we’ll get there. God bless you.

Happy Holidays!!!

1 comment:

  1. Failed radars...misguided geography...souls stops...heaven¿¿

    ReplyDelete

speakers