Monday 1 August 2011

Much Ado about Marriage.

       
 
So, I noticed the strangest thing in the last few weeks, it seems that all the guys who have seriously asked me out in the past year or two; whom I said No to for some reason or the other are either engaged or married. Now, how weird is that? Considering the fact they didn’t seem to want to be in serious relationships or so it seemed. But with their current statuses, it might just be that I suck at decoding guys. But how hard can it be to decode a guy by the way? And by decoding, I mean to know what he’s on about and what he wants etc etc….It’s kinda hard especially since most of them lie or send mixed signals.
Let me put it this way, at my age and stage, one of my criteria for dating a guy is if the guy in question shows some level of seriousness in being in a serious relationship or not. Now if he doesn’t, I move along, no time to waste. Shikena!  I mean I do want to get married at some point, so why waste time with a ‘no-gooder’ who only seems to want ‘to get down’, if you know what I mean. The question is am I wrong to judge a guy this way or to have these criteria? I’m just looking out for myself aren’t I? Because it seems all this supposed ‘no-gooders’ are the one’s getting engaged or married. I was telling this to a friend and in trying to console me, She says: ‘well, I don’t suppose you can lower your standards, just cos you want to get married? The guys might just not be properly suited for you’. I agree with her, she does have a point. They may not have been properly suited for me anyways, so why bother? Another friend of mine told me straight-up that I might just be judging them with irrelevant criteria, and pay attention to more solid matters. Which are? I asked her, but she hasn’t answered me, so that doesn’t take me anywhere. Does it?
Now the whole marriage issue isn’t a biggie to me, I mean unlike most people, I don’t see it as a total definition to one’s self.  If you aren’t married or about to get married, would you kill yourself? No! Even though this wouldn’t be generally accepted view, I think you should be happy in whatever mode you find yourself. Married or not! Don’t get me wrong, not like I don’t wish to get married soon, but that doesn’t mean my life would be on a halt because of that.
So, generally I’m happy, or at least I’m sure I am; until a few days ago, when my mum asked me if I’m considering settling down anytime soon. That kinda put a cloud over me, and for a strange reason, a funny feeling welled up inside me. I almost went back to check my birth certificate to make sure I’m still young and haven’t crossed over to my thirties.
Well, I’m over that now. As much as I think marriage is a good thing I feel sometimes people want you to get married for them and not for you; and if you are not married at a certain age, something might just be wrong with you. I beg to differ, if you are going to get married, you would. There shouldn’t be any fuss about it. Right?
Your thoughts?

4 comments:

  1. There´s no fuss dear.

    As long as u know that none of those guys were for you.

    I dont believe in getting married becos everyone is getting married.

    Your first friend must have a real head on her shoulders.

    It is important to have friends that are well grounded.

    Goodluck on ur search for a husband (The One)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. weird, funny and true at the same time

    ReplyDelete
  3. if you are trying to decode guys, don't bother...its pointless, be happy when you get a good guy...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with everyone that has commented. Marriage to me is not a do or die thing.

    ReplyDelete

speakers